Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Frugal living it up

  Okay, so I know that these days we're all learning to be more frugal. It can be different for all of us and of course depending on what seasons we are in life can depend on how we decide to adjust as well. 

 For us, we decided at the beginning of the year it was time to get serious and get out of debt! I regret all the time, that we have waited this long to understand the importance of living a life free of debt! However, I'm so thankful that we decided, in agreement, that now is the time to do so.  We went through a class that our church was offering called Financial Peace with Dave Ramsey.  It was a wonderful class that teaches you how to budget, save and be prepared for the future and all the "unknowns" that will come your way.  It will also teach you alot about yourself. It really makes you think and examine how you think about money, spending, saving, ect. 

I can be pretty- free spirited when it comes to money. I don't care much for budgets, savings, 401K, things like that. I do understand the importance of those things, I just like to think when I need it, it will be there!  :)  My husband, however, thinks very diffrently than I. He likes budgets, savings, and 401K's.  He is one who thinks that "we need to hold on to almost everything because we may need it again one day", where I think "get that out of my way, I won't need that again!"  It's funny how diffrent we are!    :)

 Okay, so in order to get out of debt we have to find some extra money somewhere! No problem, we were just wasting money anyway every month with luxury's like eating out, clothes, coffee, ect. 
I wish it were that easy!  Although there were times that we were wasting money doing those things it was always just going on the credit card, so it wasn't really money that we had to begin with.  After about 6 weeks of being in the class we cut up all of our credit cards, so that option is out the window... thank God!  :)

 Instead we just pray... lots of praying!  We began to pray that God will direct us into the direction that we should go so that we can achieve our goal of saving and getting out of debt.  I would love to say... "we're debt free!" but we're not there yet, not even close.  Instead He has been showing us step by step how to make this real for our lives, yet continually teaching us faith, giving, serving, and love.

 So I'll keep you updated with our progress.  :)  Getting out of debt, saving, just learning to live a life with more contentment, and "frugal" living it up!

 "Owe no one anything except to love one another."  -Romans 13:8

*How do you frugal live it up? 

No comments:

Post a Comment